Pages

motto

“When Israel, the only country in the world whose very existence is under attack, is consistently and conspicuously singled out for condemnation, I believe we are morally obligated to take a stand.” by Canada's PM Harper

Friday 11 January 2013

Living in Israel

Here is an article by a Canadian who studied in Israel for a while before 6 days war and now has gone back to check how does this country look like 50 years down the road.
Israel revisited

I read it and I smiled as, though much younger (in 1964 I wasn't even born) I have very similar impressions myself.
While walking through Haifa - not lost at all - I tried few times to consult my guidebook to check what is there worth seeing on my way. Each and every time at least one person (more often two) were stopping to ask me if I got lost and do I need assistance.
Every time I visited tourist attraction, cafe or ice-cream shop (being, and it was obvious, on shoe-string budget) I was welcomed warmly. During stay on Negev, as I had my 9-year-old son with me and it was summer I was constantly reminded to take care, take plenty of water, I was told where and when to go for the most spectacular and available routes. Everybody cared for me and my son however it was obvious we had some really good traveling experience.

I also witnessed how people cared about each other. They really did! During my former stay in Israel when my son was only 7 we were waiting for a bus near Cezarea. It was very hot. At one point a car was approaching so I decided to try hitch-hiking but seeing it was a police car I dropped hand. Having a rich experience in hitch hiking from many European countries from my university years I knew the police car won't take us. I was wrong. Not only did the police car stopped and took us but a nice policeman apologized for not having cold  drinks to treat us! It was the only moment I thought I might actually started developing sun stroke.

There were more stories like that. And this feeling of being cared for even by complete strangers is one of the reasons I fell in love with Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment